When you think about culinary hotspots, a city in the desert probably doesn’t seem like a leading candidate. If you know where to go, though, you can get fantastic food in great atmopheres. Whether you’re driving across country to Scottsdale or flying Southwest into Sky Harbor International Airport, exciting adventures in the desert await!
Fantastic Food Options
The city of Scottsdale and Phoenix are where a foodie can find a slew of unique, quaint and non-chain eateries. Locally owned restaurants are The Valley’s hotspots to find charming outdoor atmospheres and eclectic menu items. Keep in mind, though, that prices are at a premium in these trendier neighborhoods. If you want the best prices on basics like gas and groceries you might want to venture beyond these neighborhoods. Buying a Nissan in Glendale AZ, less half an hour from the heart of Phoenix and less than an hour from Old Town Scottsdale will net you significant savings.
The following restaurants are top options that locals dine at on the regular:
- The Vig: Perfect for a leisurely Sunday brunch or Saturday evening mingling, The Vig Uptown and in Arcadia has the perfect social scene. Visit The Vig to get “vigfaced,” which is an intense, quasi narcissistic euphoria that develops a few Vig cocktails beyond a light buzz.”
- Geisha A Go Go: Is karaoke and a pole your specialty? Does Harajuku Lover sushi sound like a roll you’d like to sink your teeth into? If you love a trendy atmosphere and hip music then the Geisha A Go Go Karaoke Bar in Scottsdale is where to have your next happy hour.
- Cibo: Described as a restored 1913 bungalow, Cibo in downtown is a quaint and moody urban pizzeria ideal for romantic dates and special occasions. Located downtown, Cibo offers specialty wood-fired pizzas such as Capricciosa, Salsiccia con Patate and Pomodor Fresco.
- Angel’s Trumpet Ale House: Satisfy your thirst for quality craft beer at Angel’s Trumpet Ale House in downtown. The tasty menu includes eclectic entrees such as vegetable meatball and PB&J with bacon and chicken. The casual and friendly atmosphere is ideal for a post-work beverage with a close bud or Friday night beer tasting for a birthday celebration.
- Narcisse Champagne & Tea Lounge: If you’re in the mood for some bubbly and a little bit of luxury, then Narcisse is the spot to stimulate your senses. Located in North Scottsdale, Narcisse describes itself as a combination of “a sexy vibe with nonstop energy and entertainment.”
- Rúla Búla: A local favorite in Tempe, Rúla Búla is a lively Irish pub in the Mill Avenue District. You can expect live music, diverse menu options, fun atmosphere and friendly bartenders.
- Postino Arcadia: Check out the first of many successful concepts from locally based Upward Projects. Located in the Arcadia neighborhood of Phoenix, Postino occupies a former post office (hence the name). Cool atmosphere is paired with great wine, and a menu with (amongst other things) fantastic bruschetta. The best part of the deal? Great service and good taste in music come standard without pretension.